Saturday, November 20, 2010

Loose Ends and Whatnot


I'm stuck at the moment. My refrigerator is almost completely bare, and I have limited time to do my grocery shopping this weekend. Which scares me a little (or a lot) because next week - next week! - is Thanksgiving already. I am supposed to make sweet potatoes, carrots, spiced apple cider, mashed squashed potatoes and pumpkin pie, and I do not have any:

  • sweet potatoes (well, I do, but I need to cook them up now, they won't last until next Thursday)
  • carrots or parsnips (see below)
  • apple cider
  • pumpkin
  • potatoes or cooked squash
Yikes.

If you are as unprepared as I am, hopefully this will make you feel a little better about yourself. And I guess you and I will be joining the throngs of Thanksgiving food shoppers this weekend. Joy, joy. 

The good news is that I am also supposed to make gravy, and I'm all set for that. At least my DH will be happy

And the other good news is that I did find a recipe for carrots (you were worried that I wouldn't, weren't you?) in a recent Woman's Day magazine. I have never made it before, but thankfully, it comes with the timely suggestion that it can be made up to 2 days ahead and re-heated in a 375F oven. Perfect! I can make it  ahead so I know if it turns out or not, and also I won't be quite as crushed for time on the actual big day. Very Important! I also love that it uses parsnips together with the carrots, and cumin, one of my favorite spices. Another big plus: it's allergen-free, so my Certain Little Someone can enjoy it as well. Which is good, because he really loves carrots, and I want him to enjoy his Thanksgiving dinner, too.

Stay tuned next week, because I'm hoping to post both my experiment with the above carrot recipe, as well as my recipe (loosely termed) for spiced apple cider before Thanksgiving actually happens. 


And right now, head on over to Our Peaceful Home, where Becky has graciously allowed me to guest post today. You'll find there the recipe for a super-easy, no crust pumpkin pie. I better go buy some pumpkin (or squash!) so I can make it myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment